April 26 was a great day as Spring finally arrived and we saw readers of poetry and short fiction filling the Winspear Room of the Faculty Club. The University of Alberta Press’s 14th Literary Cocktails saw more than 100 people in attendance—with standing room only at one point—to the delight of our readers, staff, MC, and the new Director and Publisher of UAP, Douglas Hildebrand.
Daniel Laforest was a charming and funny host, and the readings from the writers of our five newest creative works went wonderfully:
- Songs for Dead Children by E.D. Blodgett (read by Peter Midgley)
- The Left-Handed Dinner Party and Other Stories by Myrl Coulter
- Rain Shadow by Nicholas Bradley
- Annie Muktuk and Other Stories by Norma Dunning
- Welcome to the Anthropocene by Alice Major
A big thank you goes out to all who organized, participated, and helped in any way to make this event such a great success: readers, MC, Faculty Club, Audreys, Poetry Festival, and audience members.
It was an event that provided a well-needed break in my busy life. I hope you felt the same!